Thursday, September 15, 2011

Massage Therapy...and not the dirty kind!

For the last month or so I have grown more and more unhappy with my job.  Not because what I do is difficult and not because the company I work for treats me poorly.  My current job is actually great, they offer full benefits, good pay and the environment is pretty laid back.  I just sit at my desk all day, not having to really interact with anyone, creating charts and updating information in different systems.  And THAT, my friends, is where the problem lies.  I'm bored out of my MIND, I'm not being challenged and I'm doing the exact opposite of what I wanted to do with my life.  I want to make a difference, I want to help people and I want to help animals.

Unfortunately, due to my queasiness, I would never be able to help animals in a veterinary hospital.  I will leave that to Will. ;) I plan on volunteering with I.C.A.R.E. Dog Rescue in October when I will have more free time.  So, the helping animals part is covered.

My mom recently had hip replacement surgery on her left hip and she had her right one done back in April.  Both surgeries were a success!  I realized though that every time I'm in a hospital setting now, I wish I had the ability to be a nurse or a doctor.  I would have loved to be a Pediatrician.  But, I think I would terrify the already nervous kiddos even more if I passed out in front of them (thank you very much queasiness) so that wouldn't have worked out very well.  When I see incompetent nurses, I want to strangle them because I know I could do their job so much better and make their patients feel a hundred times better.  But, again, thanks to my inability to be around blood or even fathom sticking a needle into anything, I wouldn't be much help. 

So, I've been really reflecting on what I want to do with my life.  I'm 23 years old, I wanted to be married with a kid by now.  Since neither of those glorious events have occurred yet, I need to finally focus on my career.  So, I began narrowing it down.  I want to help people.  I want to be able to set my own hours or work from home.  When I do have kids, I want the flexibility of being able to stay at home with them and have my career at the same time.

I began my search last week for virtual employment.  Virtual assistant, virtual customer service representative and so on and so forth.  I found nothing.  I started thinking about being an Esthetician again, but the schooling is SO expensive and it would take me about 4 years to finally get there.  I don't have 4 years for a few reasons.  1.) Will is possibly going to transfer to a UC next year, 2) I can't stand the thought of being bored and unhappy with my job for another 4 years and 3) I might finally be a mom by then.
Then it hit me.  I remembered coming across this website for a local Massage Therapy school called Healing Hands School of Holistic Health.  I remembered they had good prices and they offered night classes which is perfect since I work full time.  So, I began looking into that.

They offer four different programs: Massage Technician Training (100 hours and $990), Massage Practitioner (250 hours and $2,475), Massage Therapist (500 hours and $4,950) and Holistic Health Practitioner (1,000 hours and $9,900).  I, of course, want to be a Holistic Health Practitioner.  Looking over all of the different techniques you can learn in that program really interested me and got me even more excited about the idea of becoming a Holistic Health Practitioner. I would love being so diverse!

Being a Massage Therapist or a Holistic Health Practitioner would be perfect for me.  It meets all of the requirements of my dream job, plus depending on where you work, you can get full benefits.  I've decided that I'm going to go for it.  I'm going to see what kind of financial aid I can get and go from there.
I'm excited! :)

P.S. I have lost 2 pounds already using the Lose It! app. I love it! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment